Friday, December 19, 2008

Goodfellas

1990 - Color - Drama - Starring Ray Liotta, Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, & Lorraine Bracco - Directed by Martin Scorsese

A bio of Henry Hill (Ray Liotta), an Irish-Italian American who tells his story of being in the mob. He always dreamed of being a gangster and became a very important member of Paul Cicero's crew. Henry narrates throughout the movie of the day-to-day happenings while he was a mobster. Between theft, lies, drugs, and murder, it all seems too good to be true, until life crashes all around him. The movie was based on Nicholas Pileggi's book "Wiseguy" and stays true to the book and real life of Henry Hill.

My Review
One word: AWESOME! One of the all-time best bios on the mobster lifestyle. Some may say the Godfather is better, but Goodfellas was based on true events that changed the whole mob world. So, in my opinion, it stands a little taller. Plus, you gotta love Tommy's character, played by Joe Pesci, as he keeps saying "I'm funny, how? Like I'm a clown...I'm here to amuse you? How am I funny?". And Jimmy (played by DeNiro) is just excellent in his role as the guy who loves to steal. My favorite scene is when Jimmy finds out the fate of Tommy on the payphone...the true emotion he delivers is real and heartfelt. Of course, I give 5 stars to this masterpiece. Please check it out and read Pileggi's "Wiseguy" also, it provides more information and further insight into Henry Hill's dark world.

No comments:

Post a Comment