Thursday, December 18, 2008

Arsenic and Old Lace

1944 - B & W - Comedy - Starring Cary Grant, Priscilla Lane, & Raymond Massey - Directed by Frank Capra

A famous drama critic, Mortimer Brewster (played by Cary Grant), discovers, on his wedding day, that his 2 beloved aunts have a morbid hobby of poisoning local widowers. He attempts to piece it all together, while his older long-lost brother shows up unexpectedly, and while trying to get his younger brother committed to a psychiatric hospital. It's a non-stop laugh fest to see it play out.

My Review
I did not read a review or synopsis before viewing this classic (or any other movie). I am glad of this, because I was so pleasantly surprised by the true genius of this movie. Cary Grant delivers a hilarious performance as he finds out the real truth about his family...mostly his homicidal aunts. What I liked the most was the pure chemistry between the cast as they hit a home run in this classic. And it's ok to laugh out loud during this one, cause I did many times. I give this 5 stars for the superb storytelling this genius cast delivers, along with the pure funny moments I will remember and enjoy over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment